St. George’s University of Grenada School of Medicine/Northumbria University
Four, Five and Six-Year MD Program
MD Program Overview
Start your journey to a world-class medical degree and gain a global perspective on the practice of medicine.
Through the established 14 year partnership between St. George’s University School of Medicine (SGU) and Northumbria University (NU) in Newcastle, over 1,400 matriculants have completed a portion of their Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the United Kingdom.
- Four-, Five, and Six-year MD students who begin their studies at Northumbria University will go on to one year or more of their degree at our technologically advanced campus in Grenada.
- Faculty from both SGU and NU teach on the basic sciences program.
- As the programs mirror each other, entry requirements, curriculum, and testing cadence all follow the same principles learning outcomes and schedules, which allows students to receive the exact same educational foundation regardless of location.
Students studying in Newcastle will not only gain academic credit from SGU towards the Doctor of Medicine Degree (MD) but will also be eligible to receive a Diploma in Higher Education (DipHE) in Medical Sciences and a Bachelors degree in Medical Sciences with Honours (BMedSci). These students are invited to attend Northumbria University’s graduation ceremony, held each year at the True Blue Campus in Grenada.
The SGU/NU program is delivered by SGU faculty (MD/PhD or equivalent) and administrators, with the added benefit of support from Northumbria University. Key features of the program include:
- A systems based, clinically integrated curriculum from the outset.
- Multimodal delivery of the “basic” sciences through content experts, facilitated by medically qualified clinical tutors & instructors.
- Experience of three+ health care systems across the UK, Grenada and the US.
- Excellent preparation for standardized exams e.g USMLE, PLAB/UKMLA.
- Established clinical rotations in the United States and the United Kingdom with a network of more than 70 affiliated hospitals and clinics.
St. George’s University and Northumbria University: A True Partnership.
An established world leader in medical education for more than 40 years, St. George’s University educates more international medical students than all US medical schools combined.
- SGU has contributed over 19,000 physicians to the global physician workforce, with students, graduates, and faculty from over 150 countries.
- They have practiced in every state in the United States, as well as in more than 50 countries around the world.
- 94% of our eligible US 2020 graduates who applied for a postgraduate position obtained one at the time of graduation.
- St. George’s University students who took the USMLE 1 for the first time in 2019 achieved a 94 percent pass rate. The more than 1,200 SGU students taking the exam for the first time hailed from 49 countries over five continents.
Students who begin their MD through the St. George’s University of Grenada School of Medicine/ Northumbria University Four-, Five-, and Six-Year Program receive the same intensive medical education as students who start at our campus in Grenada.
Lectures, labs, textbooks, small groups, and exams all follow the same evidence based, systems based clinically integrated curriculum and align over the same academic schedule.
The SGU/NU program is led by resident faculty and administrators, with the added benefit of teaching support from visiting professors and Northumbria University faculty.
Students can participate in the Early Clinical Exposure selective during their basic science years, engaging in a physician-shadowing experience at local hospitals and family/general practice surgeries.
Candidates must meet the same standards as students who begin their MD at our campus in Grenada. Find out more on our general admission requirements page. There are no special admission requirements to pursue medical school studies at Northumbria University through the SGU/NU program.
Scholarships and Tuition
SGU offers international students who intend to practice medicine in underserved areas the Global Scholars Bursary based on financial need. Learn more about SGU’s scholarship offerings.
Special Note: United States citizens and US permanent residents who attend the SGU/NU program will not be eligible to receive US Department of Education supported loans for any part of their medical education at SGU. US federal student loan eligibility is dependent on completing all basic science years on the Grenada campus.
Campus Location and Housing
The SGU/NU program is located on the Northumbria University campus in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Newcastle-upon-Tyne is a modern city with ancient roots. Located in the north of England, three hours from London by train, Newcastle positions you on the doorstep of continental Europe.
Take a long weekend in Paris or Rome. Cheer on Newcastle United, the city’s premier league football club. Soak up the friendly Geordie culture with bustling pubs, green spaces, concerts, and festivals. Newcastle attracts more than 30,000 university students and is home to all the amenities you can expect to find in a busy college town.
Enrolled students live together at the Trinity Square residence building. A twenty-minute walk or a quick Metro ride from the city campus, Trinity Square puts you in the heart of Newcastle. Most students are required to live in University housing while studying with SGU.
The International Medical Pathway is the partnership that exists between St. George’s University and Northumbria University in Newcastle. The partnership commenced in January 2007 and has since welcomed more than 1,400 medical students to spend one or more years of their preclinical or medical degree program at Northumbria University.
The inception of the partnership came about from SGU’s second Vice Chancellor, Dr. Keith B. Taylor (1989-1998). Dr. Taylor’s vision for international expansion was spurred by the reality of a shrinking world of medical education, which led not only to the growth of St. George’s University but also the creation of the Windward Islands Research and Education Foundation (WINDREF) in 1994.
The St. George’s University of Grenada School of Medicine/Northumbria University partnership (formerly known as the Keith B. Taylor Global Scholars Program) provides students with the opportunity to complete either a four-, five-, or six-year MD program. The programs are identical to that delivered in Grenada but affords students the opportunity to study in and experience a different healthcare environment.
To participate, simply:
- Apply for admission to the SGU School of Medicine.
- Make a clear note on your application that you would like to be considered for the St. George’s University of Grenada School of Medicine/Northumbria University Four, Five, and Six-Year MD Program.
Train for your calling in medicine with an innovative, world-class MD program.
Please note: US Citizens and permanent residents of the United States who attend the SGU/NU program will not be eligible to receive USDOE loans throughout their medical education at SGU. Student federal loan eligibility, for all foreign medical schools, is dependent on taking the basic sciences portion of the program on the main campus.
Choose Your Pathway
Students in the 5-year program will spend 1 year in preclinical, 1 year in basic sciences, and may do 6 months of clinical rotations in the UK. Students in the 4-year program will spend 1 year in basic sciences and up to one year in the UK. Clinical rotations may not be done in the UK for the last six months of year four/five.
In Their Own Words
What Our Grads Have To Say
"Every day is bringing different highlights and new challenges. Living my dream of being a doctor is phenomenal, and I’m very lucky to be able to say I love my job."
Ish Saxena, MD
“The Global Scholars Program was hands down the best experience of my life, I would do it again in a heartbeat.”
Joshua K. Ramjist, MD
Grenada, West Indies Grenada
Office of Admission
St. George’s University
c/o University Support Services, LLC
The North American Correspondent
3500 Sunrise Highway, Building 300
Great River, NY 11739